Monday, April 25, 2011

A Little Outside The Realm Of Space Science

     Being a late night enthusiast not by choice but by my existence as a college student, I tend to catch a lot of fun stuff on late night television (yes I am old school and do watch television). I don't know why I neglected to mention the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on the night of February 11 in this blog, but upon being reminded of it by Phil Plait of BadAstronomy, as this is also a science communication blog I have decided to bring it up here.



     This interview with Jennifer Ouelette is positive fantastic as she has devoted her life at this point to communicating science on an understandable and interesting level, particularly by framing the perspective to gain interest. What is even more commendable is her position as a non-scientist communicating to other non-scientists. I have read a bit of her book The Calculus Diaries and I am glad that the world can have communicators like her.
     It is also important that as scientists and engineers we support and learn from people like Ouelette. To us what we research and pursue is interesting and to be honest, if somebody came up to me and said that they didn't see what was so cool about space, I would have a big problem approaching them.

2 comments:

  1. Ah! She's a science translator! That's something we haven't talked about much-- a model of SC wherein scientists work with translators, who then communicate to the public. This model can work really well, but also has drawbacks. Interesting post--thanks!

    P.S. Your video is still covering up your text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just curious, which side is it covering up, I will put in breaks for it.

    ReplyDelete